We're located at 219 E. Short St., Lexington, KY 40507Sign in to contact Central Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is Disciples of Christ
- has an average worship attendance of 340
Job at Central Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Our growing congregation is seeking a full-time Minister of Youth, Children and their Families who has a heart for cultivating a vibrant youth ministry in collaboration with our talented and committed lay members.
Central Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Lexington, KY, a vibrant, urban congregation of 750+ with traditional worship & progressive theology, is seeking a full-time Director/Minister of Youth, Children, and their Families (title dependent upon ordination status). Qualified candidates will have a bachelor’s degree and preference will be given to those with theological education and ordination (or ability/willingness to become ordained). Experience in youth ministry is preferred. Open to ordained and unordained applicants.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities to Youth & Their Families (6th-12th): 75% of Time
- Work with the Senior Minister, Faith Formation Administrator, and Faith Formation Ministry Area to establish goals, objectives, and priorities for youth ministries. This comprehensive ministry to youth, children and their families will address:
● Spiritual development ● Christian education ● Worship ● Missions ● Evangelism ● Fellowship
Recruit, train, equip and nurture a growing number of adult sponsors and volunteers into an active, supportive engagement with the youth. Integrate the youth into the totality of Central’s ministries and mission, including worship, outreach and fellowship.
Develop and implement an annual written action plan for youth ministries and evaluate progress on a regular basis. As part of the action plan, work with the Faith Formation Committee, youth and sponsors to develop specific curricula, activities, promotional materials, and outreach efforts designed to attract and retain youth to CCC.
Develop and responsibly administer a budget for youth ministries based on the action plan.
Provide leadership for weekly youth groups.
Recruit, train and oversee volunteers for youth Sunday School (6th – 12th grades) Chi Rho and CYF.
Supervise, plan, publicize, recruit, and equip youth and adult sponsors/volunteers for special youth events such as:
● Youth Sunday ● Summer camps and conferences of the Disciples of Christ in Kentucky ● Mission trips ● Other local and out-of-town activities to be determined with the youth and their families
Establish and nurture a positive relationship with each youth and his/her parents in the congregation. Provide counseling to youth and parents as needed.
Communicate regularly to youth and parents through the Chimes, social media, the Friday e-blast, and other effective communication tools.
Attend youths’ school or community events regularly during the school year and invite volunteer leaders to accompany in order to build relationships.
Develop and maintain up-to-date control documents (youth directory, youth ministry calendar, event and trip registration forms, adult sponsor directory, visitor contact info.)
Maintain effective working relationship and communications with Directors of Music, Kids-SING, TeenSing, Ministry Area Coordinators, Faith Formation Committee, and other church members, and staff.
Oversee care and maintenance of the youth rooms, supply room, and equipment.
Ensure compliance documents have been updated, distributed, and adhered to by all involved parties (background checks, CPR training, copyright licensing, etc.)
Responsibilities to Children (K-5th grade) & Their Families (15 % of Time)
Assist in recruitment, training, and overseeing volunteers for Children’s Sunday School (K-5th grade).
Work with Faith Formation Administrator, Faith Formation Ministry Area, and adult sponsors to plan and coordinate family events such as:
● Family retreats ● Parenting classes ● Date Nights for parents ● Other family-oriented occasions ● Vacation Bible School ● Summer Camps
General Responsibilities to the Church as MYCF (10% of Time)
- Attend the quarterly meetings of the Administrative Board.
- Serve on pastoral team with worship.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Senior Minister.
Critical Success Factors
In order to be successful in the job, the Minister of Youth, Children, and their Families must possess:
● Strong Christian values and love for Christ and His church; theology consistent with Disciples of Christ ● A heart for youth – concern for and commitment to their welfare and spiritual development ● High energy, enthusiasm and strong work ethic ● Respect for youth, families and volunteers; affirmation of their gifts and potential ● Excellent leadership skills tempered with servanthood ● Ability to inspire respect and promote teamwork within the group ● Strong organizational skills and attention to detail ● Creativity and resourcefulness, good problem-solving skills ● Good judgment, maturity and listening skills ● Excellent communication skills, both oral and written ● A commitment to CCC, its mission, and its people
Education and Experience
● Undergraduate degree required. ● Some seminary study up to and including M. Div. preferred ● Openness to pursuing commission or ordination ● Previous participation in a congregational youth ministry ● Previous participation in camp and conference programs for youth ● Other experiences in youth development/services
Evaluation and Compensation
The Minister of Youth and their Families receives an annual performance evaluation with input from the Faith Formation Ministry Area Leaders. Compensation is reviewed annually.
Direct Inquiries to:
Nancy Albright, Search Committee Chair, [email protected]
Resume and cover letter can be mailed to Nancy Albright, c/o Central Christian Church, 219 E. Short St., Lexington, KY, 40507.
Deadline: Open until filled
Historic Central Christian celebrated its 200th anniversary in 2016 and is now looking forward to a third century of ministry and mission.
Located in the heart of the Bluegrass, Central is located in downtown Lexington, a dynamic community of 300,000 with a wealth of arts, cultural, educational, and sporting activities enriching our life together.
With newly constructed dedicated space for children and youth ministries, stellar mission centers on site, the respect of our city’s civic and service sector leaders, an awe-inspiring sanctuary, an outstanding music program, and a congregation open to thoughtful innovation, Central enters its third century with eager anticipation of what is before us.
Our deeply committed staff is eager to welcome our newest colleague as we continue to marry head, heart, and hands in all we do to serve as a beacon of Christ’s light, life, and hope in downtown Lexington and beyond.