We're located at 41 N. Park Blvd, Glen Ellyn, ILSign in to contact Faith Lutheran Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- Children's Ministry
- Family Ministry
- is Lutheran (ELCA)
- has an average worship attendance of 275
Job at Faith Lutheran Church
We are seeking a faithful leader who is creative, relational, and passionate about ministry to children, youth and their families.
Job Description - Director of Children, Youth, and Family Ministry
Faith Lutheran Church - ELCA
Glen Ellyn, IL
Mission of Faith Lutheran Church: To be stewards of God’s abundance by living in relationship with God through Christ and with each other, extending ourselves and our blessings to the world.
Purpose of the Position: The Director of CYF Ministry coordinates and nurtures faith formation for children, youth, and their families. The director oversees these areas in order to create a holistic approach to faith formation. This includes recruiting, equipping, and training volunteers to serve alongside the Director. Ideally, this position would be filled by August 15, 2019
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Leads Sunday School Ministry (Pre-K through Grade 6) including: o Teacher recruitment and training
o Oversight of schedule
o Promotion/communication of program
• Overarching responsibility for children’s programs additional to Sunday School, including, but not limited to o VBS
o Seasonal Family Events (eg: Trick or Trunk)
o Similar programs as may be developed in consultation with pastors
• Work alongside pastors to plan and implement Confirmation curriculum on Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings • Work alongside youth volunteer leaders to plan and facilitate gatherings for high school youth on Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings • Recruit, train, and equip volunteers to serve as faithful & committed leaders in Faith’s CYF Ministry. This includes meeting with leaders, both adults and students, for discipleship and encouragement • Plan and lead service events throughout the year to help children and teens put their faith into action • Plan, prepare for (including fundraising), and facilitate a yearly week-long summer trip and weekend winter retreat that gives youth the opportunity to learn about and grow in their faith while serving others • Regularly communicate CYF ministry events and vision to parents using multiple mediums of communication • Work with staff and congregational leadership to integrate children and youth into the worship life of the congregation. This includes the planning and implementation (alongside pastors) of Faith Stepping Stones including but not limited to: o 1st Bible
o 1st Communion
o High School Graduation
o Mission Trip Commissioning
• Participate actively in the worship life of Faith • Attend weekly staff meetings, occasional staff retreats, manage CYF budgets, and work with pastors to set goals that are in line with Faith’s vision Working Relationships:
The Director of CYF Ministry reports to the Pastoral team and works with the Church Council (specifically the Faith Formation Representative(s)) and other staff and lay people to develop the faith of leaders and youth. The Director of CYF Ministry works closely with the Associate Pastor to plan and lead portions of confirmation.
The Director of CYF Ministry is encouraged to participate in various continuing education events in the fields of Children’s and Youth Ministry.
Requires some degree of flexibility in hours available for work, including evenings and weekends
Knowledge and Experience:
• College degree required, a degree of certification in Children’s and/or Youth Ministry desired • 2-3 years experience in children’s and/or youth ministry preferred • Candidate does not need to be Lutheran, but basic understanding of Lutheran theology and ELCA tradition important Competencies:
• Strong relational intelligence, interpersonal and communication skills • Strong leadership skills including leader recruitment and training • Training and experience in CYF Ministries • Strong work ethic and organizational skills • Biblical and/or theological understanding • Ability to pass a background screening consistent with State and other guidelines Compensation & Benefits
• This is a full-time position, providing salary, a stipend for health insurance, and allowances: travel, book, and continuing education • Faith has a healthy staff environment and rich tradition of supporting Youth and Family Ministry • Based on qualifications, salary will range from $45,000-$55,000
Faith Lutheran Church is a healthy congregation located in a family-friendly suburb of Chicago with top ranked schools. Faith is a multi-staff church that practices collaborative team ministry. We are seeking a leader who is faithful, creative, relational, and passionate about ministry to children, youth and their families. Working with and building a team of volunteers is an important part of this role.