We're located at 4024 Caruth Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75225Sign in to contact University Park United Methodist Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is United Methodist
- has an average worship attendance of 200
Job at University Park United Methodist Church
Minister of Youth and Families, University Park UMC Dallas, TX
Description: The Minister of Youth and Families provides leadership and vision in the church's commitment to nurture youth and families in their faith and to confirm and strengthen them through study, mission, and fellowship opportunities. The Youth Minister will report directly to the Senior Associate Pastor for Families and also works in cooperation with the Church Council and lay leadership. He/she directs the service of paid and volunteer youth ministry staff and cultivates relationships with families within the congregation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Minister of Youth oversees all ministries related to youth from sixth through twelfth grades with the goal of leading them, their families, and the larger church body to glorify God through worship, covenant relationship, and service to others. He/she should provide and direct a comprehensive youth program that assists in the faith development of teens in their most formative years.
This full time position is responsible for:
• Providing pastoral care and serving as a mentor, leader, teacher, and spiritual director for youth from grades 6-12 and their families. • Creating, administering, and participating in youth ministries (i.e., Sunday mornings, small groups, etc.), and special ministries including mission trips, choir tours, and other special events. This includes: Developing and evaluating effectiveness of youth curriculum, ministries and programs; Working in cooperation with staff and laity to plan events and ministries for youth and family interaction; Managing, scheduling, calendaring, and facilitating youth and related family ministries, including periodic availability on evenings, weekends, and occasional week-long special events; and Communicating with both youth and their families through various platforms: social media, emails, text, phone, etc., and designing graphics for different communication platforms. • Interacting regularly with the parents of youth and providing programs to educate and equip families to assist their youth in spiritual formation and engagement on relevant issues. • Growing the youth ministry by creating welcoming and compelling environments to which youth can invite friends from outside of the church. • Partnering with laity to organize and teach the year of youth Confirmation. • Supporting youth in their activities outside of church programming. • Supporting college students, especially during their first year of college. • Equipping and training laity to be in inter-generational ministry and fellowship with youth. • Actively engaging with UPUMC staff to promote youth programming, and communicating youth ministry concerns/issues to the staff, Church Council, and congregation as appropriate. • Supervising a part-time Youth Assistant who will assist with programming and special events. • Managing the youth ministry budget and restricted accounts. • Ensuring that all youth volunteers are MinistrySafe trained and that MinistrySafe Church policies are observed in all youth ministry settings. • Performing other duties assigned by supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR POSITION
Spiritual and Philosophical:
• Must be a growing Christian deepening his/her relationship with Jesus and modeling this to others. • A desire to see all youth come to know, love, and follow Jesus Christ, coupled with a personal calling to minister with youth. • A genuine heart, passion, and talent for positive, nurturing interaction with youth. • A passion to create and foster an overwhelming culture of belonging and sense of worthiness and value for and among all youth. • A desire to equip and encourage families as the primary faith educators of their children. • Aspiration to grow and enhance our present and future church community through an inclusive and welcoming youth group and its integration with the rest of the church body.
• A willingness to engage in and develop an understanding of the community in which UPUMC exists.
• Advanced degree in youth and practical theological studies preferred. • Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work well with people of varying age groups, backgrounds, and roles within the church. • Strong verbal and written communication skills. • Strategic and visionary thinker regarding the ministry needs of both youth and their families, and their relations with the church body as a whole. • Ability to work collaboratively on multiple, simultaneous time-sensitive projects. • Ability to be a self-starter in various areas and comfortable working with minimal supervision. • Ability to support and counsel teachers and parents. • Graphic Design Skills preferred (Adobe Illustrator, Indesign, etc.)
At UPUMC, we oﬀer a life lived in the fullness of Christ. Our community uniquely combines the clarity and confidence of a strong Christian tradition with the welcoming and sustaining embrace of Christ’s love.
You will be known by your fellow members—and know God. You will be fed through the word of scripture—and be given the opportunity to feed others, both spiritually and physically. You will be invited to challenge the status quo—and be challenged to grow. And you will be loved as the individual you are—and oﬀer love to others in Christ name.