We're located at 360 Canco Road Portland, Maine 04106Sign in to contact First Baptist Church
This is a job in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- is Baptist
- has an average worship attendance of 200
Job at First Baptist Church
An energetic, creative youth pastor with a passion for Christ and teenagers
Youth Pastor Job Description July 2019
Note on Job Descriptions: A job description, in the most specific sense, must be flexible and open to ongoing development and refinement. Changes will be reflected in light of the desires of the Senior Pastor, the changing needs of the church, the ‘chemistry’ of a particular staff, the specific gifts and abilities of the staff person, and current expectations.
Brief Description: To be responsible for the development and oversight of all FBC ministries to junior high and senior high youth with the goal of our youth becoming devoted followers of Jesus Christ. Teacher, mentor, guide, one-on-one work with teenagers. Sunday morning and Wednesday evening programs. Recruit, train, encourage and manage a group of volunteers.
Reports to: Senior Pastor.
Qualifications and position Requirements:
• One who exhibits a personal and growing relationship with God, a teachable spirit, and a healthy family life. • One who is capable of creating and executing a long term vision for FBC’s Youth Ministry. • One who is gifted and is called to Youth Ministry, loves young people, and can challenge church family youth to grow in faith. • Youth Ministry training, degree or exhibited experience. • Agreement with FBC’s statement of faith. • A self-motivated leader, capable of casting and imparting vision for ministry, possessing relational skills needed for overseeing ministry. • Administrative skills needed for overseeing ministry. Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
• Lead and organize effective youth programs implementing fellowship, worship, biblical teaching, discipleship, and evangelism, as well as ministry and mission opportunities. • Recruit, train and shepherd volunteer youth staff with diverse gifts and personalities. • Provide spiritual direction to youth on an individual basis. • Maintain contact with students and parents, keeping them informed of ongoing activities. Keep parents updated on ministry strategies and plans in a way that encourages partnership and involvement. • Support FBC parents in effectively fulfilling their Christian parenting roles, in concert with other pastoral staff. • Assist in the development and oversight of the Youth Ministry budgets; also manage student fees for events and trips in a timely fashion. • Complete other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
• Overseen by the Senior Pastor, remaining accountable and responsive to his oversight of the Youth Pastor’s ministry and responsibilities. • Attend worship services and staff meetings on a weekly basis. • Attend meetings of boards and committees as required by Senior Pastor/Deacons. • Present a yearly youth budget proposal. • Stay current with Youth Ministry practices by reading, attending youth leadership conferences, etc. One on one mentoring with youth and attending their schools when possible for connections and bible studies.
• To be available to advise the Senior Pastor on decisions he must make upon his request. • When you are the only pastor in the office you will be expected to deal with whatever pastoral need arises.
First Baptist Church is willing to invest in youth ministry. The potential in Portland, Maine is great.
We are seeking a creative and committed junior high/high school youth pastor to focus primarily on teaching and mentoring our teenagers and to reach area teens with the gospel.