I live in Olathe, KS, and am willing to relocate.Sign in to contact Janet Porter
I would like to work in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- Children's Ministry
I would like to work at a…
- Presbyterian church
- United Methodist church
Janet Porter's résuméLast updated
I have worked with children and youth for 20 years and am looking to help develop faith in youth.
Kansas City Academy
Kansas City, MO
August 2017-present • Developed and delivered STEM curriculum to 6th -12th graders. The curriculum focused on using phenomena and the design process (engineering and scientific). Taught life, chemical and environmental science to middle school students; and earth science, biology, and environmental science to high school students.
• Taught high risk students to be successful with time management and the science curriculum. • Aligned curriculum to NGSS. • Developed and implemented cross-curicular projects and place-based experiences. • Began the Future City team and led the students to win awards • Admissions Committee member. • Restructured the school garden program to be highly successful. The garden was a huge pile of weeds, and now is successfully producing vegetables for the culinary farm to table program as well as providing the students with a summer urgan agriculture class.
Olathe North Quarterback Club
Volunteer Position Co-President of the parent support group for the Olathe North Football Team. Responsibilities included volunteer sourcing and training, fundraising, budget, communications, event planning and providing support for the team.
• Developed community partnerships with local corporate and residential stakeholders. These relationships included donations of supplies, financial pledges, and volunteer support for team needs. • Coordinated annual golf tournament. The golf tournament was almost canceled but under my leadership the tournament has almost doubled in participants.
• Planned the annual fundraising events to fund our scholarships to each senior, coach expenses, and meals for the team. The number of community partners has increased. The budget has increased, and we have also increased our reserves to cover ongoing expenses. • Designed the annual full color 75 page bound program. Included selling ads, planning layout, arranging team and coach pictures, and building personal ads.
• Team Meals sourced and arranged volunteers to serve team meals twice weekly during the season. We fed 100 boys/coaches/trainers twice a week for the 8+ weeks of the season. Had to coordinate with local restaurants, and volunteers to maintain smooth preparation and serving of the meals. The meals were increased from a sandwich on game days to a full meal on the day before the game and then a sandwich meals and snacks for all coaches, trainers and players. Arranged the food, volunteers to set up and feed the boys. We also gave out over 3500 bottles of water and 2000 granola bars to the team. • Scholarships Currently all qualifying seniors are able to get a $1000 scholarship from the QB Club for college expenses. Streamlined the process to give quicker access to the full amount for graduating seniors.
Maranatha Christian Academy
Shawnee, KS August 2012-August 2017 • Designed the science lab curriculum. Designed science labs for grades K-6 that incorporate a hands-on scientific method approach. Projects support STEM engineering design principles.
• Developed a gifted program for grades 1-6. Met with students weekly to enrich the academic experience.
• Developed a literacy building activity for the student body. Approximately 40% of student body grades 4-6 participated in Battle of the Books for grades 4-6. Battle of the Books included having weekly club meetings, teaching literacy building strategies, and culminated in a school-wide competition for participants.
• Expanded the math program to include talent search competitions for elementary students. Designed and implemented a math Olympics program to include multiple competitions, plus weekly prep work.
Overland Park, KS August 2006-May 2011 Chemistry, Advanced Biology, Web Design and Computer Applications teacher at a Christian university model school serving home schoolers throughout Kansas City metro. Students are 11 years old through high school.
• Developed the chemistry curriculum. First teacher at Brighton Academy to teach chemistry so established the program using Apologia text. This included creating the schedule, exams, and fully setting up the lab program from purchasing supplies and equipment to creating the lab reports. • Developed the computer program at Brighton Academy. First teacher to teach any computer classes at Brighton Academy. Fully developed the entire computer program offered to students at Brighton Academy. The computer applications curriculum is 100% designed by myself and includes fundamentals of Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Publisher, Internet Explorer and beginning HTML. All subjects included projects.
• Established relationship with Microsoft to use Microsoft Expressions curriculum and the DreamSpark program for the Web Design course. DreamSpark program allows students access to latest software for free.
Assistant Childcare Director
Aldersgate United Methodist Church Olathe, KS
August 2004-August 2005 Worked with the Children’s Ministry and Christian Education team to plan and implement children’s programming for birth through 6th grade. Programming included childcare for Sunday and weekday activities, Sunday School, VBS, Marketplace, Bible Theater, JAM (4th – 6th grade group), and special events in the church. Maintained childcare calendar. (continued volunteer basis through 2007)
• VBS Director Organized and led the entire VBS curriculum for over 100 attendees (ages 4-5th grade) and around 50+ volunteers in 2006 and 2007. Included forming a committee of volunteers, training all adult and youth volunteers, making certain all necessary supplies were available, having T-shirts made for all volunteers and attendees, and ensuring program ran smoothly. Established the tradition of serving dinner at VBS. • Established a newsletter for children’s ministry communications. • Attended youth protection training and became certified to teach youth protection training to all volunteers. • Helped establish a monthly Sunday School teacher appreciation program. • Helped establish a program for children through elementary school during worship service. • Helped conduct teacher training courses. Bridges Coordinator
Advice and Aid Pregnancy Center
July 2001-January 2003 Developed a mentoring and support program for new moms between the ages of 15-25. The program began as a volunteer position in 2000, and then developed into a staff position in 2001. The program provided a mature, female mentor for a new mom, as well as weekly support meetings. Worked with a team to conduct weekly support sessions for the clients. Topics covered included pregnancy health, parenting skills, life skills, and job training skills.
• Created and expanded an existing program for pregnant teens to include support for a three year period for women between the ages of 15-25.
• Developed all training material for the mentors/volunteers involved with the Bridges Program.
• Created and maintained the center web-site including responses from clients on a daily basis.
• Conducted training sessions for the clients on a one-on-one basis to help develop job skills/resumes
BS Clothing and Textiles Kansas State University
-Teaching -Building Relationships -Recruiting and Training Volunteers -Communication -Event Planning -Building and developing programs