I live in Elgin, IL, and am not willing to relocate.Sign in to contact Edmund Burton
I would like to work in…
- Youth / Student Ministry
- Assistant/Associate pastor
- Family Ministry
I would like to work at a…
- Presbyterian church
- Non-denominational church
- Other church
Edmund Burton's résuméLast updated
I believe students who know and love Jesus are the most powerful change agents in the church, and that they (and their families) need to be prioritized and integrated wherever possible so that the WHOLE church thrives.
I volunteered for 8+ years at Willow Creek Community church before becoming a staff member there in 2004. Soon after my graduation from Wheaton College, I began my work at Willow. I've been serving and working in 4-12th grade ministry and family ministry ever since.
CrossWinds Church: Student Programming Pastor
November 2013 - March 2017
-Key staff member, serving on the organization's leadership and decision-making team for 3+ years. - Operations management for all 4th & 5th Grade, Jr. and Sr. High speciﬁc programs. - Website updates, and all social media outlets. -Manage Budget and Staff Management - 3+ staff and 25+ volunteers. - Organize and execute all student events, camps, and retreats from end to end. - Recruit, coordinate, and train all program volunteers, as well as develop new leaders (both students and adults). - Responsible for the creation of all creative content, on stage (and on screen) elements, and all communication about the ministry. Lead out weekly brainstorming sessions and produce original creative content (both video and live/drama). - Frequent mid-week preacher and teacher to students, and occasional preacher on Sunday morning for adult church services. - Responsible for curating and producing daily video content for our video devotional app ReFocus. - Coordinate with other departments and leaders within organization with regard to certain events and to align program elements and efforts.
Christ UMC: Director of Youth Development
July 2010 - November 2013
- Plan, lead, teach and execute all Jr. and Sr. High programs. Manage budget, website, and all social media outlets. - Organize and execute all events. Recruit, coordinate, and train all volunteers. - Plan and lead parent workshops, sports outreach, serving opportunities, camps and retreats, and fundraising. - Write, edit, and produce all media and communications (videos, web, printed).
Best Buy (Home Theater Specialist/Magnolia Supervisor)
Schaumburg, IL and South Elgin, IL
2003-2004, 2007, 2008 – July 2010
- Gained excellent sales and communications skills and acted in Corporate Training videos. - Left Best Buy to work for Willow in ’04. Returned as a Magnolia Home Theater Sales Pro in ’07 for a short while. - Re-hired in Sept of ’08 as a Sales Supervisor responsible for over a million dollars of sales and services per year. - Oversaw 10+ staff including their scheduling, training, and daily oversight with regard to sales goals & growth.
West Ridge Community Church
Director of Student Ministry
Elgin, IL (part-time)
Feb 2008 – July 2010
- Managed Budget and Operations for all Jr. and Sr. High programs. Ran the website, all social media outlets. - Organized and executed all events. Recruited, coordinated, and trained all volunteers. - Planned and led parent workshops, serving opportunities, camps and retreats. *This role was only part-time and yet my volunteer team and I more than quadrupled the size of the student ministry during my time there.
Gamestop: Store Manager
April 2007- July 2008
- Managed daily store performance and customer service through leading, training, and developing 7-9 staff members. - We drove business and were consistent leaders at the district, regional, and company level. - For the fall quarter of 2007 (the holidays) we ﬁnished with a performance ranking of 7th out of over 5000 stores. This was an outstanding turnaround. I led our store into the top 125 for the holiday season overall, and for the year we ranked 83rd in the company. Prior to my time managing this store, it had been struggling and siting near the bottom of almost all performance rankings in the company.
Willow Creek Community Church: Late Childhood Programmer
South Barrington, IL
August 2004 – Feb 2007
- Responsibilities included; writing, editing, and producing weekly services for 600+ students. - Provided leadership and delegation of weekend service projects to staff team members (3-5 adults) and volunteers (5-10 Adults), directed weekly planning meetings, managed a department within annual budgetary constraints. - Interfaced with mid to upper management with regard to programming, production, and conveyed content. - Regularly contributed original programming material and worked cooperatively with music, drama, and technical directors. - Gained experience in public speaking for audiences from 300 - 5000+ in attendance.
Graduated in May 2004
BRAINSTORMING AND SERIES PLANNING
EVENTS AND CAMPS
▪ Attended Exponential 2017 ▪ Attended ORANGE conference in 2011 ▪ Attended SYMC Conference in 2010, 2013 ▪ Attended E3 in Los Angeles in 2005 and 2016 Carpenter’s Place – Rockford, IL ▪ Volunteer Videographer and presenter at Carpenter's Place in Rockford, IL (‘10-‘12)
Willow Creek Community Church – South Barrington, IL:
▪ High School Small Group Leader (‘99-‘01) ▪ Jr. and Sr. High Dance Team Leader (‘00-‘02) ▪ Team Axis Hospitality Team (‘00 – ‘03) ▪ 3 Dominican Republic Mission Trips (‘99 – ’01)